The copyright for any documents or images on the IGES website will be retained by IGES, except for cases where separate direction is given.
The reprinting or duplication of any IGES copyrighted material, as well as its transmission by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, or an information storage/retrieval device, without the prior permission of IGES, is strictly prohibited.
To apply for permission to use copyrighted IGES materials, please click here.
IGES provides the information contained in this web site solely as a resource for its users without any form of assurance. While IGES tries to provide high quality content on its web site, it does not guarantee the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of this information and therefore will not be liable in any capacity for damages or losses to the user that may result from the use of this information. IGES shall not be responsible for any errors, omissions or inadvertent alterations that may occur in the disclosure of content on its web site.
The information in all documents on the IGES website may be modified or removed without notice.
The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) (hereafter, the Institute) recognises the importance of personal information and the importance of responsibility for privacy protection, and, in compliance with laws/regulations and other norms concerning personal information, shall strive to protect personal information based on the details as set out below.
- Acquisition of personal information
The Institute shall strive to clarify the purpose of use prior to acquiring personal information, and shall acquire such information according to lawful and fair means.
- Purpose of use of personal information
Personal information acquired by the Institute shall be used within a reasonable and relevant scope for work necessary for business, such as various types of notification and application to its affiliated members and those persons who are registered in the databases etc. of the Institute, as well as questionnaire responses, recruitment applications, and implementation of research and surveys.
- Optional provision of personal information
The provision of personal information to the Institute is optional. However, in consideration of the purpose, in cases where necessary personal information is not provided, the Institute may not be able to respond appropriately to inquiries and provision of services.
- Third party provision of personal information
The Institute shall not provide acquired personal information to third parties except under the circumstances listed below.
- In the case of commissioning a contractor to mail information on events and forums using personal information acquired by the Institute. In this case, a memorandum or similar shall be concluded with the contractor regarding the personal information and appropriate supervision shall be carried out, with personal information used to the minimum necessary extent and under the control of the Institute. The personal information provided to the contractor shall be used only as per “2. Purpose of use of personal information”. Separate approval must be gained if personal information is to be used for other purposes.
- In cases based on laws and regulations
- In cases where it is necessary for the protection of life, body, property or for the improvement of public health, etc. and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person concerned
- In cases where it is necessary to cooperate for an investigation by the national or local government etc. and there is a risk of interfering with the performance of the affairs by obtaining the consent of the person concerned.
- Safety management measures for personal information
The Institute shall take reasonable safety measures and corrective and preventive measures against risks such as unauthorised access to personal information, loss, damage, falsification, or leaking of personal information.
- Compliance with laws and regulations, and revision of this policy
The Institute shall comply with applicable laws and other norms regarding personal information held and shall review and improve this policy as appropriate.
- Disclosure of personal information, etc. and response to complaints and consultation
Any inquiries concerning disclosure, correction and suspension of use of personal information provided will be promptly responded to within the range of laws and regulations. Any such inquiries should be directed to this contact point