|DAY2: 15:05-16:35||Sub-plenary Session 3|
City Champions: Leveling and Scaling-up Transformative Sustainability Innovations
» IGES YouTube Channel
The operationalisation of Sustainable Development Goal 11 (Sep 2015), the signing of the Paris Agreement (Dec 2015) and the formulation of a New Urban Agenda under Habitat III (Oct 2016) are helping to place urban sustainability centre stage in 2016.
High rates of urbanisation as well as financial stresses and human resource constraints are amongst the major challenges cities in the Asia-Pacific region face. On the other hand, the decentralisation of government functions is empowering a new generation of city leaders to access creative finance, emulate good practices and achieve leapfrog development by means of low-carbon technology. The Parallel Session seeks to:
- Showcase and inspire cities to develop new / adopt existing solutions to key sustainability challenges through the introduction of good practices from leading cities.
- Illustrate how intercity learning approaches can be leveled and scaled up, by showcasing a successful partnership.
- Highlight how new training programmes to globally disseminate leading urban initiatives can connect cities to finance, business and other stakeholders.
- Introduce how research organisations like IGES act as “change agents” by supporting local governments to identify, plan and implement sustainability solutions that are tailored to the priorities and needs of individual cities.
- Speakers and Presentation Materials
- Discussion Paper: City Champions: Scaling-up Transformative Sustainability Innovations(773KB)
|Date & Time||13 July 2016, 15:05-16:35||Language||English /Japanese|
|Venue||Room503, Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center||Session No.||SP-3|