The Sustainable Lifestyles and Education (SLE) Programme of the One Planet Network aims to mainstream sustainable lifestyles into formal education; make sustainable lifestyles the guiding principle in every learning environment while mobilizing youth to promote sustainable lifestyles.
Building on international frameworks, the SLE Programme has begun the organization and development of a global sustainable school network with the following objectives:
• Support implementation of regional and national mandates for education for sustainable development and lifestyles;
• Develop a replicable and scalable approach to a healthy and effective search for sustainable schools;
• Develop capacities of schools to design and integrate sustainability in school curricula, infrastructure, and management and administrative practices;
• Engage teachers and young students in the implementation of education for sustainable development and lifestyles in their schools; and
• Encourage participants to foster sustainable practices in everyday life and their communities.
The Global Search for Sustainable Schools has been coordinated by IGES and carried out in 9 countries as follows:
• Kyrgyz Republic
• South Africa
• Viet Nam
Over four days between 8 – 19 October 2020, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies convened the first Global Search for Sustainable Schools (GSSS) Virtual Workshop on education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, and the experience to date of participating schools.
THE WORKSHOP HAD THREE CORE OBJECTIVES:
• First, to present achievements, solutions, and intended impacts on individual schools, local communities, and the potential for systemic change;
• Second, to facilitate open discussion between geographically distant partners, introducing diverse perspectives on sustainable schools, knowledge integration, and approaches to sustainability; and
• Third, to exchange the experience of COVID-19 related barriers and adaptations.
The outcome document summarises the key learning points of the workshop.