Integrated Policies for Sustainable Societies
E-Learning Course on MRV in the Transport Sector
The course “Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) in the Transport Sector” is now available for viewing online. The course is the first in a series of e-learning trainings to be offered by the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES). The course will help everyone from transport experts to curious students learn both the "why" and "how" of MRV greenhouse gas emissions from the transport sector. The course is brought to you in cooperation with project partners at Clean Air Asia (CAA) and the Tokyo Development Learning Center, World Bank.
Upon completion of the e-learning series on MRV in the Transport Sector, participants will have a clearer understanding of how environmentally sustainable transport (EST) projects and strategies fit into the context of international climate negotiations and financing mechanisms. Practical skills will be gained on methods used to quantify emissions from the transport sector and the use of a tool to assess the GHG emissions reduction potential of an existing or planned BRT project.
Introduction to E-Learning Course
In November 2013, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) worked with Clean Air Asia (CAA) to organise an e-learning training workshop entitled Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) in the Transport Sector. The workshop was designed to enhance capacities to estimate GHG emissions from the transport sector. The training consisted of the following:
- an overview of sustainable low carbon transport (Module 1)
- an introduction to MRV methods for transport projects (Module 2)
- an introduction to the TEEMP Tool (Module 3)
- a demonstration of the TEEMP tool on Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) projects (Module 4)
- E-Learning Course (All modules) (4 hours)
Module 1: Sustainable Low Carbon Transport
Principal Policy Researcher, IGES
In this introductory section, Eric Zusman (IGES) outlines trends in climate negotiations and connects these trends to carbon finance and MRV in the transport sector.
- PDF (2.9MB)
Module 2: MRV Methods for Transport Projects
Policy Researcher, IGES
In the second section, Sudarmanto Nugroho (IGES) covers offset mechanisms (including Japan’s Joint Crediting Mechanism scheme - JCM) and highlights the importance of robust MRV-frameworks for sustainable transport projects and programmes.
Module 3: Introducing the TEEMP Tool
Low Emissions Urban Development Program Manager, CAA
In the third section, Alvin Mejia (CAA) identifies some of the key challenges cities in Asia face with regard to transport and introduces CAA’s Transport Emissions Evaluation Model (TEEMP) tool.
- PDF (4.9MB)
TEEMP Tool Factsheet
- PDF (Clean Air Asia)
Module 4: TEEMP Tool Demonstration
In the fourth section, Alvin Mejia gives a step-by step guide on how users can employ TEEMP for a sample BRT project.
TEEMP Tools for BRT
TEEMP Tool Manual
- PDF (346KB)
- Training Course and Materials prepared by: IGES and Clean Air Asia
- MRV Tool developed by: Clean Air Asia
- Videos produced by: Tokyo Development Learning Center (TDLC), The World Bank
- Videos were recorded during a live training held on 26-27 November 2013 at the Tokyo Development Learning Center with city government officials from Bandung, Ho Chi Minh, Pasig and Makati.
- E-Learning Course on MRV in the Transport Sector by Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.